Thursday, May 3, 2012

Giving My Inner Health Nut a High Five

Remember when I said that there were two sides of spring? That sometimes, it can be great but that it can also be really annoying (I just sneezed to prove my point)? Today, spring showed me her good side. Chris and I decided to take advantage of it and go jogging around our neighborhood.

I hadn't had any kind of real physical activity since my failed 30-day bikram yoga challenge last fall. So you can imagine how miserable I was out there today; I felt like my body aged to about 80 years old as I huffed and puffed from one block to the next. Still, I did promise myself a few days ago that I needed to get back in shape now that it's gotten gorgeous and warm outside, and most especially now that I have gained some unwanted pounds from junk food. I'm not sure why exactly, but for some reason, I've been thriving on refined sugar and fast food like a real American, something I promised I'd never do when I decided to move here.

I can definitely feel the effects of this crap lifestyle and that's basically what made me leave the couch and go out in the sun. I finally threw away the bottle of expired multivitamins rotting in my medicine cabinet and bought a new one. I did have a BLT sandwich and wet fries for dinner tonight but I also have a lot of leftover romaine lettuce leaves in the fridge and tomatoes that I could make into a salad for tomorrow's meal. God knows I hate salad, but I do need to flush out all the crap with good ol' fiber. Sorry, TMI.

Wet fries make me happy.

A PicFrame picture says a thousand words...

Shoes! Having the right pair of running shoes is so important. I use Under Armour Women's Chetcho II Trail Running Shoes.

Immunity Booster! Echinacea is my favorite immunity booster. There have been studies that taking echinacea as a supplement may cut the chances of catching a cold by half, and shorten the duration of a cold to less than two days. But some research also shows that it cannot be fully proven. Personally, it works. It could be a sugar pill side effect, but what matters is that I feel good and will continue taking it.

Outdoor essentials! Aside from my keys and iPod, I also bring my pepper spray with me whenever I go out walking. Paranoid or not, it makes me feel more secure, and I love that it's hot pink! 

Happy face! Because a smile never hurt anyone.

My reward for a job well done. Thank you, honey!

No comments: