Saturday, July 14, 2012

Giving My Inner Granola A High Five: Farmers' Market Haul!

Growing up in the Philippines, where everything is either freshly caught or freshly picked, I would always yearn for natural, home-grown food. Ever since I moved to the US, I've always been on the lookout for farmer's markets, which was the closest thing to our beloved wet markets in the Philippines, without the live seafood, that is.

Last week, a farmers' market that is just five minutes away from my house finally opened. I went home with a good amount of locally made jams, jellies, bread and pastries, and fresh, organic vegetables and herbs.


Kevin Buggie's Black Diamond Canyon Farm had really great red, white, and yellow onions. These onions, perhaps because they were fresh and home-grown, were very different from your regular supermarket onions. Like most people, I am not fond of the smell of onions, but Kevin's onions smelled fresh and crisp, ready to be chopped and tossed in a salad. I'm excited to see those giant leeks in my mom's yummy onion leek soup!

Kevin of Black Diamond Canyon Farm. Visit him at

Kevin also had some fresh mint, and the first thing I did when I got home was make some fresh mint tea, like Kevin suggested. It tastes heavenly with a touch of honey, or a sprinkle of sugar.

The stars of today's purchase are The Mixing Bowl's fresh jams, jellies, breads, and pastries! 

The geniuses behind The Mixing Bowl, Cindy and Stacy! They sell fresh bread, croissants, bagels, jams, and jellies. It's an entire assortment of all things homemade and yummy! You may contact them at themixingbowlgallup (at) gmail (dot) com.

I'm not even kidding: best croissant I've ever had!

I'm not the biggest fan of croissants. It's hard to find a really good one that would just melt in your mouth, and is neither too moist nor too flaky. The Mixing Bowl's croissants are just that. They are also same day baked. I decided to taste test the jams and jellies with it.


I thought I found the best apricot jam at Trader Joe's, but you could really tell the difference if it's fresh and homemade. Cindy and Stacy recently went apricot picking in Colorado, and the trip definitely paid off. This is the best apricot jam I've ever had, and my top pick from today's purchase.


I've never had this kind of jelly before, and for an avid honey fan like myself, I was excited to taste it. I love anything that involves honey, from food to body sprays, soap to scented candles. And if you love honey as much as I do, you will love this jelly. The subtle hint of lemon brings out the refreshing sweetness of honey; it's the perfect combination! I also think it would go perfectly with scones.

A close second to the apricot jam, this Orange Marmalade was so good that I wanted to drink the entire jar! It's sweet, refreshing, and citrusy. Don't expect it to stick to your bread or crackers like the other jams, because it's a little bit runny, which is what a marmalade is supposed to be in the first place! The consistency allows your bread or pastries to absorb the flavor. So to me, it was perfect.

I couldn't help but smile at every bite of this Raspberry Jam. It has a true, sweet raspberry flavor, and has the happiest shade of raspberry red that makes it even more appetizing. After all, you eat with your eyes first!

Finally, an homage to the Southwest! Luckily, I was able to snag the last jar of Cranberry and Jalapeno Pepper Jelly, which is the most interesting jelly I've ever had! For those of you who are not fans of anything too spicy, I would still recommend this jelly to you! The sweetness of the cranberry neutralizes the fiery serrano peppers; it's just a wonderful play and burst of flavors in your mouth, which would leave you wanting more. This would go really well with crackers, and, as Cindy and Stacy suggested, it could also serve as a nice coating to your pork roast. I can't wait to use this to baste meats! It's so unique and wonderful that I had to order three more jars!

All in all a great day for some fresh, locally grown products. Our farmer's market is also home to locally made crafts, such as wood carvings, sculptures, postcards, and home decor. 

Visit us and support Gallup's first farmers' market, at the downtown walkway off Coal Ave., from July-October, Saturday, 8:30-11:00a.m.

Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions, and don't forget to follow/"Like" me on Facebook!

No comments: