Thursday, July 26, 2012

On Choosing Banquet Halls, Rings, and Getting Licensed!

We got our license to marry today!

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. My future mother-in-law suggested that we applied for it early because she wasn't sure how long the entire process would take. I was scared that it was going to be like walking in the DMV, but there were literally no lines, and we got our certificate in a matter of minutes! Can't wait to have these papers signed by the minister marrying us, and whoever our two witnesses will be (since we have a bunch of guests coming anyway).

Today was rather productive. Aside from the license, we also went around town to search for a good reception venue. Last week, we visited the Elks Club, which was beautiful, but since their banquet hall was located next to the room where the Elks hold their meetings, it reeked of cigar smoke! I don't mind cigars myself, but I want my guests to have the most comfortable time possible. The Elks Club was just too much of a manly man kind of place for me, and even for my fiance, who also hates the smell of lingering cigarette smoke.

So we decided to check out the banquet halls at different hotels instead. And the second hotel we checked out had an atrium that immediately stood out from the rest!


Now, before you get excited, this isn't a picture of the atrium we found. But the main idea that won us over -- indoor trees and a glass roof -- is close enough in this picture. Since we are getting married right smack in the middle of winter, we obviously have no choice but to do it indoors. I'm glad I found a place that would keep us warm and at the same time make us feel like we were outside. I've always been a garden wedding/outdoor/forest kind of bride, but like I said, I am also very uncompromising about being a December bride.


Here's another great example of how I've been picturing my wedding reception. I really, really love glass roofs, and that lovely green house feel you can get from it (minus the heat, humidity, and bugs, of course). And that is precisely why we want to do our Philippine wedding at the Fernwood Gardens... 


...and why I also thought those trees in the cathedral during Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding simply spelled m a g i c. Isn't it obvious? I am obsessed with trees.

I am also really loving the rectangular tables, but I have to find a good supplier for these, since the hotel banquet rooms can only provide circular ones.

We also pre-ordered our wedding rings today.

We tried on different ones until we decided on traditional yellow gold wedding bands. We were looking through a bunch of really cool titanium rings, but decided that we should get something that really says, "I'm married!" And yellow gold just looks great with any skin tone.

Overall, it was a great day. We still have a lot to do, including choosing my dress, his suit (or tux, if he wishes to wear a tux), pre-marital counseling at the church, etc. But I'm hoping that I will be somewhat more relaxed as the big day draws near. My married friends are right, though -- wedding planning can be toxic, but if you learn to enjoy these moments, the road to wedding day, no matter how stressful, is going to be just as magical.

That won't stop be from hiring a full coordination wedding planner for my Philippine wedding, though. Hehe. More on that on future posts!

No comments: